Wednesday, 13 June 2012

...AND EVEN MORE GHOST WORKERS DISCOVERED IN BAUCHI - 5,000!!

The shocking revelation of how much money we as a country are losing because of the payment of non existent employees within our collective FG labour force is still being uncovered as seen in the below excerpt culled from The Nigerian Daily Trust Newspaper

Bauchi state Local Government Service Commission has uncovered the existence of over 5000 ghost workers across the 20 local government councils of the state. The Chairman Local Government Service Commission, Alhaji Ibrahim Musa stated this today while speaking with newsmen in Bauchi. He said the discovery was made by the commission after conducting a screening exercise across the local councils in the state. Musa said part of the revelations of the committee that went round the 20 local government councils in the state was the existence of many staffs that are supposed to have retired since but were still using false ages to remain in service.

AWESOME POINT TO REMEMBER AS AN SME - ETHICS CAN MAKE OR BREAK YOUR BUSINESS

Regarding setting up best practise systems and policies in your offices or even as an individual working in an office, the best advice I ever received is ethics trickles down from leadership. If leadership isn't ethical, workers will not be either. This doesn't matter whether you are an SME employing 1 person or on your way to becoming a large enterprise operating across Nigeria, Africa, and even the world.

Ethics is becoming more and more important with social media and shrinking global borders making it almost impossible for companies not to be transparent and accountable for their actions, systems, and policies. Crafting a sustainable ethical policy in your company is not as hard as you think and for small business owners, it is better to set up on earlier on that is sustainable and implementable in order to ensure you know you are accountable and ultimately responsible for the success or failure of your business.

To read more about this, please click on the below link




KEBBI LOSES N153 MILLION MONTHLY TO GHOST WORKERS

The Kebbi State government loses a whooping N153 million monthly to 2,800 workers on its payroll, an investigation has found. This was contained in a report by the committee set up by the state government last month on salaries and pensions in the state, which was submitted to the state Governor, Saidu Dakingari, at the Government House, Birnin Kebbi, yesterday. Chairman of the committee, Senator Faruk Bello Bunza who presented the report noted that the revelations were quiet alarming, and added that they were discovered from the data obtained from the pay roll and staff list of ministries, boards and parastatals in the state civil service. Bunza also lamented that the system was full of irregularities and illegalities whereby some retirees were found to be collecting both salary and their pensions, while some were dead but their names still appeared on the pay roll .

Other shocking revelations included fictitious entry of names as well as duplication of names just as a lot of discoveries were also made when the committee undertook the physical payment of pensioners for the month of May.

Culled From The Leadership Newspaper

IS YOUR BUSINESS NOT GROWING? THEN PLEASE READ THIS ARTICLE

Over the years, I have met a lot of entrepreneurs who have been frustrated by low profits, lack of growth, or the stress of the never-ending demands. Many struggle with all three. While every business is different, there are common denominators. In fact, I believe there are 10. The tricky part is that failing to have a handle on just one of these areas can result in mediocre performance, a stressful existence, or ultimate and intimate failure. That is one reason the failure rate for small businesses is so high (here are some others).
This is the checklist I review when I’m not satisfied with my company’s performance.

read more at:

http://boss.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/18/how-to-diagnose-whats-wrong-with-your-business/?ref=humanresources

UPDATE - DRAMA SURROUNDING THE SACKING OF 3,000 WORKERS IN OYO STATE

Ibadan — The Oyo State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has condemned Oyo State Government for sacking 3,000 of its workers. Mr. Dotun Oyelade, spokesman of PDP Synergy League, said in a statement in Ibadan, yesterday, that the sack "is the fulfilment of a mind-set primed at reducing the workforce by all means." "The sack is not only premeditated but the first step in a long-drawn strategy to prune down the civil service to a manageable level as a result of the deadlock surrounding the minimum wage." ACN's spokesman, Mr Dauda Kolawole, however, described as shameful PDP's defence of workers that the past administration had prepared for sack due to certificate forgery, age falsification and contravention of service rules.

Culled The Nigerian Vanguard Newspaper

Monday, 11 June 2012

OYO STATE GOVERNMENT TO SACK 3,000 WORKING WITH FAKE CERTIFICATES

Ibadan — Oyo State government has sacked 3,000 of its workforce found wanting for various offences ranging from forged certificates and falsified ages, among others. Explaining why it embarked on the sack, government said the exercise was imperative to save the integrity of the service. In a statement issued in Ibadan on Sunday and signed by the Special Adviser, Media, to Governor Abiola Ajimobi, Dr. Festus Adedayo, government explained that those affected were staff identified to have run foul of their rules of engagement. The offences, according to the release, range from falsified age claims, falsified certificates, ghost workers who had no letter of appointment or who were retired but were still on the payroll of government, as well as staff who possessed outstanding disciplinary cases against them. Explaining how government came about the list, the release said that the current administration in the state inherited the staff rationalisation list from the immediate past government which engaged the services of a management consultancy outfit called Captain Consulting, to do a thorough audit of the records of all public and civil servants in the state and their positions. After the audit, said the release, the consultancy outfit came up with the list of workers with deficiencies that violated their rules of engagement to the Oyo State
government public and civil service which it presented to the immediate past government.

According to the government, when the Ajimobi administration came into office, even though it was persuaded that allowing indicted workers to stay in the service would affect the morale of workers with genuine documents and was against the rules of equity and fair-play, as well as constituting a potential pollution in the ranksof workers in the state, government immediately initiated a public service process of giving these workers the rights of fair hearing by setting up a panel to review the consultant's reports.

The government said that, after the exercise of painstakingly verifying the veracity of the claims of the consulting outfit, many of the workers who were exonerated by the panel had their names removed from the list and are not affected by the current cleansing exercise.

culled from the Daily trust newspaper

REINSTATED LAGOS DOCTORS HAVE RESUMED WORK FULLY

Lagos State doctors who were recently recalled by the state government resumed work on Wednesday, upon receiving their letters of recall. A correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) who visited some hospitals, such as the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), Ikeja and the Randle General Hospital, Surulere reports that doctors were seen attending to patients. NAN, however, reports that the patients were few as most of them were still unaware of the resumption of the doctors. A doctor in the Family Medicine Department of LASUTH, Dr Oluwajimi Shodipo, told NAN that he was happy to be back at work,and their primary responsibility of saving lives. He, however, hoped that the issues which led to the crises would be resolved once and for all.
Culled from the Nigerian Daily Trust Newspaper

NEW WEEK...NEW THOUGHTS... ARE YOU BUILDING TOWARDS YOUR LEGACY?

Good evening everyone,

I hope you had a fantastic Monday back to work after the weekend. Our hearts go out to friend's and families affected by the recent bombings in Borno and Plateau State. May the hearts of the faithfully departed rest in perfect peace Amen.

The recent spate of bombings has got me thinking about how fragile human life is and how careful one has to be live, work, and prosper in Abuja. It's a reminder to all of us about how precious life is and how important it is to add value to both your life and the lives of those around you. Take time out this week to think of who you can help in terms of reaching goals and crossing milestones. Look beyond yourself at home, in the office, and within your friends to see who you can mentor, advice, or just give a word of comfort and a helping hand when they need it.

One of the easiest things to do in this world is be a critic because sitting outside of a situation, you do tend to see the bigger picture and remain dispassionate. however, it is much harder to give help as and when it is due. So why not dedicate a few hours this week to helping someone else achieve their goals, targets, purpose or even routine jobs that they find daunting. Adding value to the lives around you is the first step in building a legacy that lives beyond you.

Have a great week everyone!!

Regards,

NVEfretei

Nkoyo Efretei
Insiteful Solutions Consult Services

Thursday, 7 June 2012

SPDC WARNED FOR NOT EMPLOYING PEOPLE FROM DELTA AGAINST ITS VACANCIES WITHIN THE STATE

Yenagoa — Ijaw youths have issued a 21-day ultimatum to Shell Petroleum Development Company, SPDC, over what they described as the alleged refusal of the company to employ youths from its Egbemo-Angalabiri host communities in Ekeremor Local Government Area of Bayelsa State. Rising from a meeting of the six clans in Ekeremor council and Ijaw Youth Council, IYC, central zone in Yenagoa, the youths threatened to cripple activities at the company's base in Warri, Delta State and Port Harcourt, Rivers State, if the oil company fail to meet their demand. The youths in a statement by Rawlings Ezetu, Dennis Ofiyou and representatives of the various clans followed the alleged refusal of the company to accede to the pleas of prominent indigenes of the area, including the royal fathers to employ qualified graduates from the area. Lamenting the alleged insensitivity of the company to indigenes of its host communities, IYC cited the case of four youths from Egbemo-Angalabiri in batch 13 2007/2007 Shell intensive training programme 2 (SITP 2), who after successfully completing their training in electrical/production operation and mechanical/production operation in 2008 were yet to be offered employment by the company.

Culled from the The Nigerian Vanguard Newspaper

THE NIGERIAN ENTREPRENEURS FORUM LOOKING TO CREATE 150,000 PLUS JOBS

The Nigeria Entrepreneurs Forum, NEF, says plans have been concluded to create about 532, 800 new businesses that will translate into the provision of job opportunities for millions of youths in the country.Sidney Inegbedion, NEF president, who disclosed this when he led his members to Samuel Orton, minister of state for trade and investment in Abuja, said the forum will hold a training programme on ‘How To Start Your Own Business’ on June 9, in Abuja. Inegbedion said no fewer than 200 participants would be trained bi-weekly in Abuja before spreading it to other parts of the country for others to benefit, saying, “We hope to create new businesses by educating 200 persons fortnightly in the 36 states plus the FCT, and creating 532, 800 new businesses in the next few years. “These new businesses are expected to start employing two to five persons, thereby creating employment opportunities while building wealth.” According to Inegbedion, the Forum has signed a memorandum of understanding, with the National Economic Reconstruction Fund, NERFUND, for his members to access micro loans of between N100, 000 and N5 million as well as small and medium enterprises, SMEs, loans of N6 million to N100 million for productive ventures. The NEF organises entrepreneurs’ development programme during the last week of each month to train participants the basis of business start up, how to write business plan, manage existing business and leadership training. He therefore solicited the ministry’s assistance in securing full registration from the Corporate Affairs Commission and office accommodation, among others, saying the registration had particularly become imperative because of the number of foreign collaborations the organisation was having.

For more information, visit http://www.nigeriaentrepreneursforum.com/

 Nigerian BusinessDay